Friday, September 4, 2009

So you want to be a model???

Not a day anymore goes by when I'm not asked by some young model if I could take pictures for their portfolio. Like most photographers, paying the bills always comes before a free TFP (trade for pictures) session and I just never get to it. However, it is important to always update my own portfolio with current styles and with the ideas floating around in my head. So, how do I chose who to work with? Let this be a wake up call for anyone entering the field of modeling, I first shoot with people I like. Models with personality, style, pleasant to be around, perfect looks always take a back seat to those traits. Now, the thing you don't want to know... As photographers we love what we do and take it very serious. Most of the time we have limited time for "free" work and hate to be stood up. I have a standing deal, stand me up and I will never work with you. I can say this because there are a hundred other models standing in line, this is reality in the modeling business, miss a casting call and someone else is going to get casted.


Here are a few photos of one of my favorite models; Ebonie Hunter. I love to shoot photos with Ebonie not because she's beautiful, and she is, but because she is so much fun!!! Ebonie always comes ready to bring it, she is prepared, she knows how to pose, and she is very easy to direct.


Ebonie is the type of model who I am always trying to talk my clients into hiring because of her ability and personality. My question to you is; how serious are you? Do you realize that there are loads of other models waiting for you to slip up so that they can float to the top of the list?


I spent the weekend interviewing about 30 models for some up coming commercial jobs. They all did great, why? Because they showed up!!! I could not believe how many very promising models said they would be there and just never showed up... What did that tell me? Those models are really not serious about modeling and I could never rely on them when it came to a paid assignment. This is all okay, because there was 30 other models standing in line telling me they took it serious...

Let's keep Ebonie the hero of our story. Ebonie works hard at modeling, she always is looking for new opportunities and it will probably pay off. She will be the headlining during Sacramento Fashion Week as the Grand Finale Model for Victor Louis Couture. Has had three call back's for America's Next Top Model, and numbers of other projects.

Ebonie at the Erna Shein Winery in the Napa Valley


Ebonie modeling at the Spanish Fly Hair Garage

Ebonie with Alien Bee lighting

Get your chance to work with Ebonie and others like her at one of our workshops:


No comments: