Sunday, September 6, 2009

If you must...

I stated the other day that I almost always use flash/strobes when photographing people, this is not to say I don't love natural light. Natural light can give us results that would take sometimes thousands of dollars worth of lighting gear to achieve and it's all free. When I think natural light, I think dramatic natural light.


I had the honor of running a workshop at Preston Castle in Ione, CA. Preston Castle has so many opportunities to take advantage of natural light. Why? Simple, because it provides so many areas of layered light. The above picture may have fallen flat had it not of been for the light out in the background to give depth and mystery to the photo.

As a side note, as we left that day from our workshop the "Ghost Adventures" from the Travel Channel spent the night in the castle and you can see there fun time on the travel channel this season.

One final tip for getting great natural light photos is to use a tripod, we all tend to think because we are sporting 2.8 lenses and can just bump up the ISO and that we are just fine shooting handheld.Why leave great photos up to chance? Do it right and put your camera on a tripod.

For an opportunity to shoot multiple models at some great locations join us for one of our "Disneyland for a photographer" portfolio building workshops: www.behrensphotoworkshop.com

No comments: